GREENSBORO, N.C. – Visiting Washington College swept both men's and women's tennis matches at Guilford College Monday afternoon. The Shoremen, ranked 12th in the latest Campbell's/Intercollegiate Tennis Association NCAA Division III Atlantic South Poll, improved to 2-0 with an 8-1 win over the Quakers (5-4). Washington's women also moved to 2-0 after a 9-0 win over short-handed Guilford (4-6).
Washington's women cruised to an easy 9-0 win over Guilford thanks in part to a pair of matches defaulted due to a Guilford injury. Jordan Finnegan lost just one point in two victories. She downed the Quakers' Mackey Wesner, 6-1, 6-0, at first singles and teamed with Brittany Marshall for an 8-0 first-doubles triumph over Wesner and Natalie Sutton. Marshall downed Sutton at second singles, 6-0, 6-2. The closest women's match of the afternoon was at fifth singles where Campbell McNichol defeated Guilford's Liz Killion, 6-3, 7-5.
Guilford is back in action Friday (3/18) against visiting Christopher Newport University.
Tennis Match Results
Washington College vs Guilford
Mar 14, 2011 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Washington College 9, Guilford 0
1. Jordan Finnegan (WC) def. Mackey Wesner (GC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Brittany Marshall (WC) def. Natalie Sutton (GC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Amanda Bercovici (WC) def. Anne Mogavero (GC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kat Cohen (WC) def. Nina Bollag (GC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Campbell McNicol (WC) def. Liz Killion (GC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Bethany Daller (WC) def. No player (GC), by default
1. Brittany Marshall/Jordan Finnegan (WC) def. Mackey Wesner/Natalie Sutton (GC) 8-0
2. Amanda Bercovici/Campbell McNicol (WC) def. Anne Mogavero/Liz Killion (GC) 8-0
3. Kat Cohen/Bethany Daller (WC) def. No player/No player (GC), by default